History

The first of its kind in Australia, Alice Springs School of the Air (ASSOA) has seen much growth and many changes in its 60+ years.

From the initial idea by Miss Adelaide Miethke, the trial process and the official opening to the building on a specialised premises and the more recent switch from radio to broadband satellite technologies, the Alice Springs School of the Air has helped educate thousands of students. Facilitating daily contact between students, home supervisors and teachers, the school has always strived to find new and better ways of enriching the education of Australia’s most remote children.

This timeline tells the story of the Alice Springs School of the Air from 1944 to today.

  • 1944

    It was in 1944 that Miss Adelaide Miethke, a member of the Council of the Flying Doctor Service (FDS) of South Australia, suggested the idea of using two-way radio to give educational talks to children in outback regions of Australia. Discussions between Mr. R.G. Pitts (Director of FDS in Alice Springs), Mr. L. Dodd (Assistant Supervisor of Education in the NT and Headmaster of Alice Springs Higher Primary School) and Miss Adelaide Miethke set in motion the School of the Air - the first of its kind in the world.

  • 1950

    After a long wait for special communications equipment, a trial program began in 1950. Teachers at Alice Springs Higher Primary School volunteered to teach the radio lessons. A landline was laid from the Flying Doctor base to the School (at Hartley Street). Teachers took turns to present the specially prepared scripts to the outback children with the help of radio staff at the Flying Doctor base.

  • 1951

    On 8th June the School of the Air was officially opened at the Flying Doctor Base. Mr. Kissell of Alice Springs Higher Primary School was the leader of the broadcasting team. Initially lessons were a one-way affair, but soon a question and answer segment was added to the end of each broadcast. Sometimes a microphone was taken into one of the classrooms at the school and the remote students could listen to specially prepared lessons or dramatisations. Three half-hour sessions were broadcast each week.

  • 1953

    Miss Molly Ferguson took over as the leader of the broadcasting team.

  • 1954

    Alice Springs School of the Air moved to a new location at the base of Anzac Hill (now the Youth Hub but previously Anzac Hill High School). It has a purpose built broadcast studio with an observation area. During 1954 Miss Molly Ferguson becomes the sole teacher for School of the Air.

  • 1955

    The first Get-together Week is held in May and was attended by 30 School of the Air students (aged 5-15 years). The Get-together is held at the Alice Springs Higher Primary School during the school holiday break.

  • 1955

    Miss Molly Ferguson is awarded an MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) for her work at School of the Air. In 1955 she also retired from the School to get married.

  • 1956

    Mrs. Margaret Stiller became the Alice Springs School of the Air teacher. Two extra radio sessions were added to help the secondary students and closer links are made with the correspondence work. The school library was initiated with books posted out to students.

  • 1957

    The first excursion for School of the Air students happened in 1957. Mrs. Stiller and 4 other adults took 18 students to Adelaide for 3 weeks.

  • 1958

    Mrs. Nancy Barrett was employed to replace Mrs. Stiller who had to retire due to ill health.

  • 1960

    Mrs. Nancy Barrett embarked on the first official "patrol". Using her own car and away for a week at a time, she visited as many stations as she could in one direction (from Alice Springs), spending half a day at each and staying at a different station each night. The "patrols" were so successful that the Commonwealth Government went on to provide the vehicles and expenses for future trips.

  • 1967

    Mr. David Ashton became the School of the Air teacher. He went on patrol four times a year for 1-2 weeks at a time.

  • 1968

    The School of the Air moved once again, this time to a demountable at the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS). A second teacher, Mrs. Judy Hodder, was employed to teach the younger children and to cover lessons for the other teacher whilst they were away on patrol.

  • 1973

    Until the end of 1973 the role of Alice Springs School of the Air was supplementary to that of the South Australian Correspondence School. All courses were produced in Adelaide, and all lessons were sent back there for marking. In Alice Springs teachers provided a 20-minute radio lesson to each grade, and occasionally visited 'on-air' students when on patrol.

  • 1974

    It was in 1974 that Alice Springs School of the Air became completely autonomous. Becoming the Correspondence School for Central Australia, all students’ families were given transceivers and the school its own frequencies. Correspondence work was now sent out to students, marked and returned from Alice Springs. The school now had enough students to have a teacher for each class. Patrols were made by class teachers to each of their students once a year. The first supervisors' conference is organised by Mr. David Ashton and is attended by 25 supervisors.

  • 1975

    Alice Springs School of the Air’s logo was designed by Mrs. Val Whalen, who was the ASSOA teacher librarian. By 1975 the school had 123 students and three administration staff.

  • 1976

    The first aerial patrol took place (by 1991 a quarter of all patrols are carried out by air). Due to the increased number of staff, a new school building was needed to accommodate them all. Work began on the Head Street premises (where we still are today), in 1976.

  • 1977

    School operations began from Head Street, although the teachers still had to travel to the RFDS base for radio broadcasts. A Preschool program is added to the school.

  • 1978

    Official opening of the School at Head Street. The radio broadcasts are made from the now completed specially built studio. By this time there were 13 teachers at the school and 3 administrative staff.

  • 1979

    Alice Springs School of the Air was issued with its first patrol vehicle, a brown 4WD Toyota Land Cruiser.

  • 1980

    The library trailer was used to take the library to the students (during patrols), however this was discontinued after it was deemed not viable.

  • 1985

    The first ‘In-School’ was held (replacing the former function of a Get-together). This was organised by Mrs. Eileen Kennedy for her Year 3 Class, it was so successful it has become an annual event for all classes.

  • 1991

    The School celebrates its 40th birthday with Mr. Christopher Brocklebank, the artist in residence.

  • 1992

    By 1992 the school was undergoing many new developments under Principal Mr. Ed Boyd. Communications technology was taking off and became a major focus from 1992 onwards. A trial program for Indigenous students was held which coincided with the beginning of a major radio upgrade. Satellite television broadcasts via Imparja Television were trialed. Laptops were trialed in the senior classes.

  • 1993

    Email was introduced to staff and senior students as a new way to communicate and computers were made available to students in Years 6 and 7. New phones and a fax were also installed.

  • 1995

    An extension was completed to the Head St. building which included a new Visitor Centre, a larger teachers' preparation area and more storage space. More computers are made available to students covering Years 4-7.

  • 1996

    The new Visitor Centre was officially opened and a full time Manager appointed.

  • 1999

    The use of email had by this stage become an important communications tool, especially for the older students.

  • 2000

    Alice Springs School of the Air started using secure internet services for teaching. The year also saw a visit to the school by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

  • 2001

    Alice Springs School of the Air celebrated its 50th birthday. Christopher Brocklebank was artist in residence for the lead up to the birthday week celebrations in June. The 50th Birthday Mural Wall was officially opened.

  • 2002

    The first roll out of Interactive Distance Learning (IDL) began, using satellite and broadband technologies.

  • 2003

    With the IDL Studio now built, the phase-out period of radio lessons commenced while simultaneously IDL classes (via broadband satellite internet) were phased in. The technology used.

  • 2006

    In 2006 the school became completely reliant on satellite technology to conduct classes.

  • 2008

    What once was a second radio studio was transformed into a second IDL studio.

  • 2011

    Alice Springs School of the Air celebrated its 60th birthday during In-School week with students, families & friends.

  • 2013

    In 2013 the school had 140 students, 16 teachers, a Principal (Ms. Belinda Pearson) and a small number of support staff. The students are from as far north in the NT as Gregory National Park and over the border to the south, in SA. The closest student is just over 60kms away and the furthest in the NT is 1467kms. Students in the same class are sometimes over 1900kms apart. In 2013 we provide teaching services to three Aboriginal communities (Corella Creek, Mulga Bore & Bonya). We also have some students only doing correspondence with us (they don’t have satellite dishes & computers), their parents are contractors and the families travel a lot in NT. There are two students in Papua New Guinea.