Year 1950

After a long wait for special communications equipment, a trial program began in 1950. Teachers at Alice Springs Higher Primary School volunteered to teach the radio lessons. A landline was laid from the Flying Doctor base to the School (at Hartley Street). Teachers took turns to present the specially prepared scripts to the outback children with the help of radio staff at the Flying Doctor base.

Go to 1954

Go back to 1944