Year 1951

On 8th June the School of the Air was officially opened at the Flying Doctor Base. Mr. Kissell of Alice Springs Higher Primary School was the leader of the broadcasting team. Initially lessons were a one-way affair, but soon a question and answer segment was added to the end of each broadcast. Sometimes a microphone was taken into one of the classrooms at the school and the remote students could listen to specially prepared lessons or dramatisations. Three half-hour sessions were broadcast each week.

Go to 1953

Go back to 2013